Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mama, When Will I Die?

Jakob was working with me yesterday as I was constructing a makeshift screen door. He sat on a stool next to me as we talked on the porch. As the conversation progressed he eventually ended up down the stairs playing with a toy. But he continued to call up to me and talk with me as I worked. The following is a true blue replay of the conversation. A teaching moment in it's purest form!

Jakob: "Mama, when will I die?"
Mama: "Well, know one knows when we will die except for God. Why are you thinking about dying?"
Jakob: "I'm afraid to die."
Mama: "Ahh, there's no reason to be afraid to die, it's just like falling asleep. And when you wake up, your in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Jesus (I was thinking about how I held his sister in my arms as she died and she didn't seem in pain)."
Jakob: Really, so it doesn't hurt?
Mama: Nope!
Jakob: So will you be there with me?
Mama: Yes, and hopefully I'll be there before you. I want you to live a long life (in my mind I'm thinking that I don't want to bury another child.)
Jakob: Who else will be there?
Mama: Well, we will all be there someday. And we will always be a family forever, because Mama and Papa made promises to Heavenly Father in the temple that we would follow His commandments. And He promised us that we could be a family forever if we kept our promises. Jakob: Starts singing the primary hymn Families Can Be Together Forever.
Jakob: So will we have to stay in heaven?
Mama: Well, there will be times that we'll be able to move to different places. Kind of like moving into a different house.
Jakob: Can we walk?
Mama: Oh, I think you can get around any way you want. I think you could even fly if you wanted to!
Jakob: Fly?! AWESOME!
Mama: See, no need to be afraid of dying, Love! I'm sure glad you talk to me though... I love talking with you!
Jakob: Yeah.:)

Technically Jakob's fear of death arose because we watched the movie What About Bob together. The boy on the show has a fear of death. In reality, Leif and I are so grateful that we have been taught the answers to those questions and the peace that they bring into our life.

No comments: