Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trouble Sleeping and Roller Coaster Moods

Leif asked me if I had blogged Jakob's behavior in the last couple of days. If he noticed the flare-up then I don't feel too bad about making note of it.

Jakob had a camp out with Leif two nights ago (read about it on our family blog.) He didn't sleep very well so we expected him to have a really good nap. Instead he refused to sleep and was moody and disagreeable all day. This was a bit of a change because he had two pretty good days mood wise prior to this episode. We thought for sure he would sleep well that night. But nope! He was calling Leif in for hours after we laid him down and he even came out to try to sleep with us.

The next day (yesterday) he didn't nap well again so we just gave up trying to force him to sleep. At night Leif and I decided that Leif (Leif cares for Jakob at night, I care for Caleb) wasn't going to keep going in to Jakob's room after he was all tucked in. So Leif talked with Jakob and they went through their normal routine except that Leif added the question to Jakob asking him if he needed anything else before he left. Jakob said he was okay. But when Leif explained that he couldn't come back into his room again until the morning Jakob melted down. He cried and broke our hearts by crying out that he wanted to be held. After a while I broke down and went and sang outside Jakob's door. Jakob cried for me to come in and sing so he could hear. So I did. When I was done Jakob cried for a while and then fell asleep. We thought we had won.

No So! Jakob woke up an hour later freaking out. He was still asleep but crying so much that he would only calm if Leif came in. So Leif and I took turns for the next hour trying to calm Jakob. He would calm when we were there. But he would start crying again if we left. Mind you he's still pretty asleep. Leif finally got him to sleep. But we had one more visit by him in the middle of the night. He came and crawled in bed with me. I noticed that he was warm again (he was warm during the day) I just let him sleep there for a while. Leif then took him to bed and he slept until the morning.

This morning we were all tired. Jakob woke up peaceful. But he melted down when Leif asked him to get dressed. He cried out of control for 15 minutes. He had a low grade fever throughout the day. He was clingy in primary and wouldn't go to class. Finally when we got home he had a three hour nap.

No comments: